Lots of people have blogged about their fave things from 2010, and the things they want to carry out before they are 30 and so on. But I don’t really remember 2010 (horrible memory!), and 30 is a long way off for me. (Not so far for my wife, but I won’t go there!)So, here are the top ELEVEN things I want to do in 2011.
- I want to get everyone around me saying TWENTY-ELEVEN, etc, NOT two thousand eleven. Did we ever say nineteen hundred ninety-two, or one thousand nine hundred ninety-two? NO, we said nineteen ninety-two. (Okay, silly rant over.)
- I want to honestly explore the feasibility of a giftless Christmas. No gift giving, no gift receiving. Only one big act of generosity from my family to someone who needs it. (Don’t worry mom, I am not COMMITTED to this, but I want to explore how it would look/work.) We talk so much about Christmas being about more than gifts. Maybe it is time to prove it.
- I want to complete my Creole lessons. I have had them for a year with little progress. While I know some, I have SO MUCH work to do. Mwen gen yon bann travay fè.
- I want to blog 40 times this year. This is like once every 9/10 days. I have lots of ideas/thoughts/perspectives that not only might be helpful to others, but would be good for ME to share. But I am not a daily blogger, I need more space. ha.
- I want to give away more money than I spend on my entertainment. So every time I pay the cable bill, go to a movie with the wife, and buy music, I will be adding up and trying to surpass it.
- I want to take my wife to the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. This would seem like a simple enough task, but we have lived here 2 1/2 years and something keeps coming up. Not this year. (Yeah. I dig a little classical music. Go ahead. Make fun of me. I can take it.)
- Speaking of my wife, we need a day in downtown DC checking out the museums and monuments. She is not originally an East Coast girl, so doesn’t have all the school field trips I have to look back on.
- I have a friendship that I haven’t been investing in. I need to give it some more effort and time. Maybe an hour a week or so. (There is a nice, vague goal for ya.)
- I want to win another double-header! (My Friday night pals will get this one!)
- I want to take my kids on “Daddy Dates” at least once a month! I almost cried today when I realized that my oldest daughter is 33% of the way to adulthood. WHAT?!?! They need memories and moments and talks and laughs with Dad. More than they have been getting.
- A family camping trip. Yep. It HAS to happen. Even if it just on the back porch. (kidding, Roseann.) Spring, watch out. You are gonna get Johnson-camped.
So, those are some things I want to happen in 2011. Which of these will you hold me accountable for? What are some of your top goals for 2011? Tell me in the comments below.